Franklin County State's Attorney Bad Check Program


What checks are eligible?

 Eligible Cases

  • NSF checks and Account Closed checks used for goods and services.
  • All transactions must have taken place in Franklin County.
  • Restitution will be sought on all above cases.

Ineligible Cases

  • Post dated checks
  • Payroll checks
  • Two-party checks
  • Stop payment checks
  • Checks held over 90 days
  • Forged or stolen checks (These cases should be reported to your local law enforcement agency)

Things you can do to fight check fraud

  • When an employee accepts a check make sure the employee copies down the driver's license or ID number, correct address, and phone number of the check writer.


How to file a complaint with the bad check program

  • Use the complaint form provided by the Franklin County State's Attorney's Office. (You can make your own copies of this form.)
  • Complete all portions of the form, legibly and accurately. Include driver's license number and all other identification data. If identification on check writer was NOT obtained, the complaint may not be considered for prosecution.
  • Attach the returned check(s) and any other pertinent information to the complaint form. The check writer must be notified in regards to the returned check.
  • NSF checks must be submitted to and stamped by the bank twice, at least seven days apart, before filing a complaint.
  • Cease all collection efforts after you file the criminal complaint. Restitution should not be made to you after filing this form. Restitution must be made to the State's Attorney's Office, with a money order, made payable to the complaining business.
  • Send all completed complaint form(s) and check(s) and any other related correspondence to:

Franklin County State's Attorney Bad Check Program
411 East Main Street
Benton, IL 62812
(618) 439-4316

Please note: Forms may NOT be faxed or e-mailed to our office. To file the complaint, download and fill out the form below and submit along with the actual check(s).